Recently some users have been experiencing issues while updating the quicken on their pc. Whenever they try to update the quicken they get an error message saying “an error occurred update failed to install”. We also faced this issue on one of your pc. To fix this problem we did some research and found that this can be easily fixed. In this post, we’re going to explain what to do when the fix quicken update failed to install.
Why I Cannot Update Quicken?
Below we’ve mentioned some reasons why quicken is not updating on your device.
- The quicken is installed on the root device (which is usually the c drive).
- An opened application can prevent the installation.
- The windows temp folder contains too much data or is too big.
- The installation files are corrupted or damaged.
How to Fix Quicken Update Not Installing
Verify Quicken Installation Location
Quicken needs to be installed in a folder but not in the root device itself. Below we’re going to explain how to check the quicken installation location/path.
- Right-click on the quicken icon and select properties.
- Now next to check if quicken is installed in the folder or not.
Correct: C:\Program Files\Quicken\qw.exe
If you don’t find the folder name next to the drive, then the quicken is installed in the root drive. This installation is incorrect, in this scenario you need to reinstall quicken by following the steps below.
- Press the win key on your keyword then type and open the control panel.
- Now select uninstall a program.
- Locate the quicken program.
- Now right-click on quicken and click on uninstall.
- Download quicken from here.
- Now right-click on the file and click on run.
- Click on the let’s go button.
- Now click on install.
- After installation click done.
After reinstalling quicken you’ll be able to download and apply update patches.
Delete the unnecessary files from the windows temp folder
Quicken update uses the windows temp folder while installing the update. If your temp folder contains too many unnecessary files then you need to delete them, to update quicken without facing issues.
- Close the quicken program.
- Open file explorer or click on the file’s icon from the taskbar.
- Now click on this pc icon.
- Right-click on windows (c:) drive and click on properties.
- Click on disk cleanup.
- Select temporary files from the list and clear other items.
- Now click on ok then click on delete files.
Now after disk cleanup you’ll be able to install the quicken update patches on your pc.
How do I manually update Quicken?
You can also manually download and install quicken mondo patches on your pc. To manually install quicken mondo patches on your desktop follow the steps below.
- Visit here for quicken updates and select your quicken version.
- Now download the quicken update patch from here.
- Double click to install the update patch manually.
You’ll be able to manually update the quicken after completing the steps above. If you are still facing an issue then you can proceed with the troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
Running apps can create conflict while installing the update
Sometimes a running app can create conflict while updating your quicken. To prevent this from happening again you can follow the steps below.
Restart your pc
- Press the Windows key.
- Now click on the power icon.
- Click on restart.
- After restart, check if the update patches are installed or not.
Install update patches in safe mode
- Press and hold the shift key then click the power option then select restart.
- Once the pc restarts select troubleshoot.
- Now select advanced options.
- Select startup settings.
- Now click on the restart button to restart pc in safe mode.
- Now try installing the quicken update patches.
Reinstall quicken in safe mode
You need to uninstall and reinstall quicken in safe mode to resolve this issue. To boot your pc in safe mode follow the steps mentioned above. After booting your pc in safe mode, first, uninstall the quicken from your pc. Now download the quicken program from here. Right-click the file and click on run and follow the on-screen instruction to install quicken in safe mode. After reinstalling quicken in safe mode, check if the issue you were facing previously is resolved.
More helpful guides:
How to fix quicken keeps crashing
How to fix quicken keeps freezing
How to fix quickbooks not opening
Quickbooks stuck on loading screen fix