Quickbooks offers certain payroll features that are enabled when the Quickbooks payroll service subscription is activated. Apart from Quickbooks Mac, it works with every other version of Quickbooks. Is your Quickbooks payroll not updating? Read further to know about its causes and possible troubleshooting methods.
Why is Quickbooks Payroll not updating?
From issues with your Quickbooks version to an inactive Payroll subscription, below is a list of the major reasons behind Quickbooks payroll not updating.
- You are using an incorrect service key
- Invalid Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Quickbooks Desktop is not compatible with the version of your Windows operating system
- You are using an outdated Quickbooks Desktop version
- The PSID Company File is invalid
- Inactive Payroll subscription
- Quickbooks Desktop files are corrupted
- Inaccurate Tax Table
Before you proceed with the troubleshooting methods, it is advised that you make sure your Windows operating system has its latest updates installed.
How to fix ‘Quickbooks Payroll not updating’?
Issues with Quickbooks Payroll service subscriptions are common and can be solved easily in no time. Implementing the below-listed solutions would fix the problem of Quickbooks Payroll not updating.
Update Quickbooks Desktop to its Latest Release
If your Quickbooks Payroll is not updating successfully, chances are good the Quickbooks Desktop program is not up to date itself. Installing the latest updates for the program is recommended. To update Quickbooks Desktop, follow these easy steps:
- To manually update Quickbooks, right-click on the program and select Run as administrator
- On the No Company Open screen, go to the Help option.
- Choose the Update Quickbooks Desktop option
- In the options tab, select Mark All and subsequently click on the Save option.
- Now in the Update Now tab, check the Reset Update option.
- Finally, select Get Updates.
Restart Quickbooks Desktop when the update has finished. Follow the on-screen prompts to successfully install the updates. Restart your computer when the process has finished.
Install a Digital Signature Certificate
Multiple Quickbooks Desktop users have reported that installing a Digital Signature Certificate has solved the ‘Quickbooks Payroll not updating’ issue. You can install a Digital Signature Certificate by completing the process given below:
- Navigate to your Quickbooks Desktop folder (C: Program Files/Intuit/Quickbooks).
- Locate the QBW32.exe file.
- Right-click on the file.
- Choose Properties.
- Select the ‘Digital Signature’ tab.
- Make sure that intuit has been selected in the signature list.
- Now in the Details tab, select View Certificate.
- In the certificate box, choose Install Certificate.
- Keep selecting the Next option, until the Finish option shows up.
- Click on the Finish option.
You must restart your computer before installing the Payroll updates and this should solve your problem.
Download Payroll updates in Safe Mode
Whenever there is a system-critical problem that might be interfering with the regular options of your Windows operating system, Safe Mode is effective in determining the cause behind the problem. If your Quickbooks Payroll is not updating, we recommend you try downloading updates in Safe Mode. Follow these steps:
- Hold the Shift Key and Restart your system.
- Under Choose An Option, select Troubleshoot.
- Now select Advanced Options.
- Under Advanced Options, select the Startup Settings option.
- Now choose Restart.
- When the screen comes back, press 5 to run your computer in Safe Mode with Internet Access.
- Download the Quickbooks Payroll updates by following the usual process.
- Once completed, restart your system normally.
Following this process should help resolve any possible Payroll update errors.
Repair Quickbooks using ‘Quick fix my Program’
This is a usual troubleshooting method. Using the ‘Quick fix my program’ option in Quickbooks Tool Hub helps repair any damaged files that might be hindering the Payroll from updating successfully. You can repair the damaged files by completing the process given below:
- Download Quickbooks Tool Hub from the Intuit website.
- Install the program.
- Once installed, open the Quickbooks Tool Hub application.
- Choose Program Problems.
- Now select the Quick Fix My Program option.
Once the process is completed, relaunch Quickbooks Desktop and try updating Payroll again. Alternatively, you can repair Quickbook Desktop by following these steps:
- Open Control Panel on your Windows.
- Navigate to Program and Features and choose the Uninstall a program option.
- Select the Quickbooks program.
- Click on the ‘Uninstall/Change’ option.
- Finally, click on Repair.
If this doesn’t solve the Payroll not updating issue then your Quickbooks Desktop is running properly and the program is not causing the payroll update error.
Correct System’s Date and Time
An incorrect Date and Time on your system can result in the failure of updating multiple programs. If your Quickbooks payroll is not updating, make sure the Date and Time on your system are correct. To change the Date and Time, follow the simple steps listed below:
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Select Time & Language.
- Now choose the Date & Time option.
- Select the Change option to manually correct the Date & Time on your system.
Before you try updating Payroll again, restarting the system is recommended.
Revert the Paycheck in the System
An incomplete Payroll can also hinder getting Quickbooks Payroll updated. To fix this, you must revert your Paychecks in the system. To do so, follow the below-listed steps:
- In the Menu bar, click on Employees.
- Select the Pay Employees option.
- Choose from either the Scheduled Payroll or Unscheduled Payroll.
- Now choose the Resume Scheduled Payroll option (skip this step if you have selected Unscheduled Payroll).
- Choose the Employee Name you are undoing the changes for.
- Right-click on the Employee Name and select the Revert Paychecks option.
If the problem is persisting or you fail to the revert the paycheck, contacting the Quickbooks team for assistance is recommended.
More Helpful Guides