I’m sure we’ve all experienced QuickBooks keeps freezing at one time or another – it’s frustrating and annoying when the program is not responding. If you happen to be one of the users suffering from QuickBooks keeps freezing and want a quick fix for this issue, this blog post is for you. This blog will give you tips on how to get your QBO running smoothly again.
Why does QuickBooks freeze up?
You may experience the QuickBooks keeps freezing issue for the reasons we’ve mentioned below. Take a look at the causes;
- Your QuickBooks Company file name has exceeded the character limit.
- You may have corrupted or damaged company file data.
- The QBWUSER.ini file is damaged.
- Your QuickBooks company file name is too long.
- You may experience this issue if the User Access Control is enabled.
- QuickBooks freezes up if the QuickBooks significant components are damaged.
- The web browser’s cache can also be why QuickBook keeps freezing up.
What to do if QuickBooks freezes up?
We’ve gathered and penned down some of the best working solutions to get rid of the QuickBooks freezing issue. So, follow all the steps as instructed, and it will help you unfreeze the QuickBooks.
Delete Temporary Internet Files & Cache
In order to fix the QuickBooks keeps freezing issue, you can try deleting the temporary file and cache. To do this, the given steps will guide you;
- Head to the Control Panel.
- And select Network and Internet, then select Internet Options.
- Now, navigate to the General tab and click on Delete.
- After that, choose Temporary Internet files and website files > Delete.
- The process may take a while once it’s done. Click on Apply > OK.
QuickBooks Refresher Tools
If the above steps didn’t work, try using a QuickBook Refresher Tool. This tool is used to perform a mini repair on the QuickBooks. May using the QuickBooks Refresher Tool fixes your issue.
Here’s how you can use QuickBook Refresher Tool;
- Firstly, close all the QuickBook Desktop versions.
- Now, download and install the QuickBooks Refresher Tool.
- After that, save your File on the desktop and run the QBRefresher Tool.
- Lastly, re-open the QuickBooks Desktop.
Why does my quickbooks keep freezing?
The Company File Name is too long.
As we discussed in the causes section, if the company file name is too long, this might be why you’re encountering the issue. So, if the company file name is too long, try renaming it shorter. Check if doing this fixes the issue.
Ensure that your Company file name is not exceeding the 64 characters limit.
Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBInstall Tool)
If the QuickBook keeps on freezing, let’s proceed with installing the QuickBooks Tool Hub. If you already have, then move to the next step. If not, install QuickBook Tool Hub with the Help of the given steps;
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub and install it on your desktop.
- Once the installation is done, open the QuickBook Too Hub.
- Now, navigate to the Installation Issues > QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- It will take a while to configure once it is configured. Accept the license agreement.
- After that, click on Proceed to start repair.
Once the repair is done, restart your pc and check if this resolves the issue or not.
Run Quick Fix my program.
If the issue persists, try to run Quick Fix my Program. Running the Quick Fix my program will help users to run a quick repair of all the program files. Below steps will help you in running the Quick Fix my program;
- Open the QuickBook Tool Hub and navigate to the Program Problems.
- Now, click on the Quick Fix my program button.
- It will take a minute to scan and fix the issues.
- Once it’s done, restart your pc and check whether the issue is fixed or not.
Suppress QuickBooks Desktop
To suppress QuickBooks Desktop;
- Press and hold the Ctrl+Shift keys and double-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Don’t release the keys until QuickBooks opens. Now, it will open a No Company open window.
Don’t close the QuickBooks Desktop. Below, the method will navigate you to the Update QuickBooks Desktop.
Update QuickBooks Desktop
After suppressing the QuickBooks desktop, you’ve to update the QuickBooks Desktop. For updating the QuickBooks Desktop, the below steps will guide you;
- Navigate to the Help and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, click on the Update Now tab.
- After that, check the Reset Update option and click on the Get Updates. \
- Once the Update is complete, close the QuickBooks.
Lastly, check if the issue is resolved or persists.
Create and Restore Portable Company File
QuickBooks can compress the company file into a portable file. There were some instances where creating the portable company file fixed the latency issues—and maybe creating the portable company file resolves the freezing issue.
To create the portable File, follow the given steps;
- Open the QuickBooks File.
- Now, navigate to the File then, Create Copy.
- After that, choose the Portable Company File and click on the Next.
- Lastly, save the portable File at your desired location and click on the Save > OK.
Now, to restore the Portable Company File;
- Click on the File menu and choose Open or Restore company.
- Now, select Restore a portable file and click on the Next.
- After that, locate your Portable Company file (where you saved it).
- Click on Open then, hit Next.
- Lastly, restore your company file and save it where you want.
Run the Verify or Rebuild Data Utility
Running the Verify or Rebuild Data Utility may help you in fixing the issue. Doing this will repair your damaged company file. To check if your File is corrupted or damaged, follow the below steps;
- Click on the File menu and select Utilities.
- Now, choose Verify Data (If the tool shows any error or damage, go back to File Menu).
- And select Rebuild Data and click OK.
- The tool may take a while to repair the damage. Once it completes, click on OK.
- After that, rerun the Verify Data utility. To check if there’s any damage in the company file.
Run QuickBooks File Doctor
Issues can be resolved by running the QuickBooks File Doctor. It is an easy tool for resolving company File errors. If you don’t know how to do it, the below-given steps will guide you;
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and navigate to the Company File Issues tab.
- Now, click on the Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Click on Browser and select Check your File and network.
- Click on Continue, enter the QuickBooks Admin password, and then hit the Next button.
The scan will take a while to complete. Once the scan is completed, your issue will be resolved.
Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks
If nothing works for you, you need to try uninstalling and reinstalling the QuickBooks on your desktop.
To uninstall the QuickBooks;
- Head to the Control Panel and select Program Features.
- Now, locate QuickBooks and click on Uninstall.
- After that, follow the on-screen prompts to Uninstall the QuickBooks.
To reinstall the QuickBooks, follow the link or use the Clean Install Tool.
Once you reinstall the QuickBooks on your desktop, check if the issue is fixed or it’s still there.
How to fix quickbooks can’t find company file
How to fix quickbooks keeps crashing
Quickbooks says the file is already open