Are you encountering an error message while updating the direct deposit or payroll? You might get this error code and message on your desktop screen, “Error Code: 4001 Something’s not right. We’re unable to complete your request at the moment.”
You might encounter the error code due to technical glitches in your QuickBooks Desktop. To fix this error code, we’ve listed what causes the error 4001 and how you can fix it.
What does error code 4001 mean?
Error code 4001 usually occurs when you try the direct deposit or updating payroll. It indicates that QuickBooks is unable to complete your request at the moment. It can happen if you’re not logged in as an administrator or payroll info is not up-to-date.
Reasons behind error code 4001
There can be several reasons behind error 4001; we’ve listed some of the probable causes that can trigger Error code 4001.
- Not using the account with the admin rights and credentials.
- QuickBooks Desktop or payroll tax table is running on the outdated version.
- A poor or unstable internet connection can
- Internet Explorer is not set as the default browser.
- The Company Real ID doesn’t match with the number in the payroll system.
- Corrupted or damaged company files can also trigger issues running or activating payroll as payroll data is saved in the company file.
How do I fix error 4001 on QuickBooks desktop?
To get this error code 4001, we’ve gathered and penned down some effective solutions.
Set Internet Explorer as the Default Browser
As discussed above, you might encounter this error code if your Internet Explorer browser is not set to the default. To set Internet Explorer as the default browser, follow the steps that we’ve listed below;
- Launch the Internet Explorer and click on the Tools or Gear icon at the top-right corner.
- Now, click on the Internet options and navigate to the Programs tab.
- After that, click on the Make Default option and click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
- Lastly, relaunch Internet Explorer and retry to activate the direct deposit or update the account info.
Update the QuickBooks Desktop and Payroll updates
As stated in the causes section, you might face this QuickBooks error code 4001 due to an outdated version. In this case, try to check and update the QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version.
- Launch and run QuickBooks Desktop as an admin and head to the Help menu.
- Click on Update QuickBooks and clock on the Update Now > Get Updates. Wait until QuickBooks installs the updates.
- Next, go to the Install updates tab and click on the Employees tab.
- Select the Get Payroll Updates option and click the Download latest updates option.
- After downloading the latest updates, retry to Activate direct deposit and check to see if updating the QuickBooks Desktop and payroll to the latest version resolved the error code.
Login as administrator
Is your QuickBooks Desktop running as administrator? If not, follow the below steps and run your QuickBooks as administrator;
- Right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon and click on the Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab and uncheck the Run this Programming as Administrator box.
- Once you locate an option that is already unchecked, click on Apply.
- Lastly, click on OK and reboot your desktop/pc.
Check if the Error code 4001 persists. If it’s still there, move on to the next step.
Run the Verify/Rebuilt Utility tool
If running the QuickBooks with admin rights didn’t resolve the error code, try to run the Verify/Rebuilt Utility tool as it automatically detects and repairs the issues. For doing so, below are steps to follow;
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop and head to the File menu.
- Now, move to the Utilities and click on Verify Data. Now, it will start verifying the data for corruption.
- If there’s any corruption or damage in the data, QuickBooks will identify and prompt you to repair it.
- After that, click on Rebuild Data, and once the process completes, you need to retry performing the same process.
Run the Program Repair Tool
Before using the program repair tool to fix the error code 4001, ensure that you have a backup of all your company files. After backing up your company file, follow the below steps;
- Click on the Start button and search for the Control Panel.
- Now, head to the Programs and Features > Uninstall a Program.
- After that, locate QuickBooks under the Programs list, followed by the Uninstall/Change option.
- At last, click on Continue > Repair > Next and once done, click on Finish.
Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
Running the QuickBooks install diagnostic repair tool will attempt to fix common issues preventing you from installing the QuickBooks desktop. To do so,
- First of all, download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once it is installed on your desktop, open it and head to the Installation Issues tab.
- Select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and wait until it repairs the QuickBooks desktop Installation damage.
- Once the process completes, launch QuickBooks and check if the error code is fixed.
More Helpful Guides
How to fix QuickBooks Bank Error 323
Fix QuickBooks Online Not Connecting To Bank
How To Fix Quicken Not Syncing With Bank